Children’s Special Health Services
Children’s Special Health Services (CSHS) is the principal public agency ensuring that children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN) in Louisiana have access to health care services. These services are designed to minimize their disabilities and maximize their probabilities of enjoying independent and self-sufficient lives.
Children and youth who have special health care needs are those who have or are at increased risk for a chronic physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition and require health and related services beyond what other children or youth require. CSHS strives to support all children and youth with special health care needs through direct service clinics, provider support, and community outreach.
Who do we serve?
In our direct service clinics, CSHS serves Louisiana residents under the age of 21 who are diagnosed or suspected to have certain chronic physical illnesses or serious disabilities that are likely to cause impairments which could significantly limit major life activities. CSHS serves the broader population of children and youth with special health care needs through community and provider engagement activities by providing health education tools, resources, and expert technical assistance to providers.
What are our functions?
CSHS offers the following program activities and services:
- Bi-annual Resource Information Workshops (RIWs) open to both providers and families of children and youth with special healthcare needs
- The Family Resource Center at Children’s Hospital of New Orleans
- Direct services providing sub-specialty medical care & family support services
- Continuing Education credits offered for healthcare professionals through trainings and webinars
- Regional Resource Guides and Family Resource Hub available through our program website
- Technical assistance and personalized training at no cost for providers
- Targeted fact sheets, screening instruments, CDC print-on-demand resources, and web sources available for parent and provider use
- Annual mass mail-out containing information on region-specific resources
- Smooth Moves Youth Health Transition online resource guide
For more information about our upcoming Resource Information Workshop in September 2018, visit http://www.ldh.la.gov/index.cfm/page/3007