Louisiana Healthy Homes Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (LHHCLPPP)
The purpose of the Louisiana Healthy Homes and Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program is to eliminate childhood lead poisoning in Louisiana through a comprehensive approach to prevention of lead poisoning and the management of children age 6 and under who are found to have elevated blood levels. This initiative also seeks to identify health hazards in the home that may lead to injuries, asthma triggers and poisoning and to offer education and/or intervention to reduce and/or eliminate these hazards. Data shows that Louisiana has a high prevalence for all of these hazards and it is imperative that a focus is placed on these issues. The Healthy Homes Initiative is also being undertaken by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Who do we serve?
- We provide clinical guidelines for blood lead testing and case management services in partnership with healthcare providers and social service professionals across Louisiana.
- We provide case management services to children between 6 months and 6 years of age who have tested positive on a blood lead level screening test.
- We provide lead abatement services to qualifying property or home owners, landlords, and tenants in certain regions of the state.
What are our functions?
LHHCLPPP offers the following services to children, families, healthcare professionals, and the community at-large:
- Monitoring of blood lead levels in children six years of age and under
- Identification of and care coordination for children with elevated blood lead levels
- Environmental inspection for children with elevated blood lead levels
- Community and professional education on childhood lead poisoning and healthy homes
- Clinical guidance for healthcare professionals on routine pediatric lead screening
- Lead abatement services to those who qualify
- Provision of guidelines and resources for lead-based paint abatement contractors